Saturday, September 1, 2007

The Cost of Surgery

Did i just did a typo there? Do i mean 'cause' and not 'cost'? Well, it's not a mistake. I first thought of the word bribe but the game was bought after the surgery so it's not a bribe. As I think of it now, it's more like a payment.

Remember my post about my son having a surgery? And now he wants a game to compensate for the ordeal that he has gone through. I have no objection, a game is a very small compensation compared to what he has gone through. And because of all the guilt I feel inside, i can give him anything he wishes (as long as it would not bury us to debt).

Today we went to futureshop. It's been five days since his surgery and it's also the day he decided that he can face the outside world again. He's still swollen but he feels alot better. He picked his game (the one shown in the picture) and just like magic, the world is normal again.

I can't say much about the game, i have no idea and not the least interested. I'm sorry but i guess i just lost my patience in understanding such complicated games. All i know is that it cost around C$50.00.

Hmmm...can you imagine a surgery to cost $50.00?? His first surgery in the Phippines cost P25,000.00. That is in 1993 when he was born. Took me 2 years to pay off the loan i took. After paying the first one, he needed the second surgery right away before he learn to speak. So at two years old, he went for another surgery. That was 1995 and it cost us P30,000.00. Another loan that needs to be paid in two years. It was such a burden, emotionally, financially, mentally and physically. But we have to do it. Half the battle over... because it's not the last surgery.

We went to Canada. Here it is different. Very different than back home. When the government found that my son has a birth defect, they've registered him under a government program designed to help kids with such condition. He was asked to go to Sick Kids Hospital and be checked up from head to toe. To asses what ever medical treatment he needs. It went even to social needs. He has access to financial help for any surgery not covered by regular government medicare. Even orthodontics. His surgeries here, i didn't even paid a penny. We go the hospital, he was taken cared of and we go home. Whatever medicine he needs after surgery, my work drug insurance pays. No hassles, unlike back home, where, before they can let you in, they need to see if you have money. And before you can go home, they definitely still need to see and get your money. With my sons medical needs, i will still probably be paying loanuntil i'm burried six feet under.
Definitely... C$50.00 was all it cost me for his surgery. And that is the cost of his game.

No comments: